01695 577 961



Home Icon Find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from our customers

  • Is there a time difference?

    Perth GMT +8hrs, Sydney GMT +10hrs

  • What is the currency?

    Australia Dollars

  • What will the weather be like?

    Australia’s seasons are opposite to those in the northern hemisphere. Weather patterns around the world are also becoming less predictable, however, as a general guide; Australia enjoys temperate weather for most of the year. The tropical northern states (Cairns and Darwin) typically experience very warm weather and can be very humid in the Australian summer. You can find out more by reading our dedicated Australia climate guide The southern states are typically warm and sunny.

  • What clothing should I take to Australia?

    Dress for our tours is generally relaxed and informal during the day, dressing to suit the weather conditions and the activity you are undertaking. It’s likely there will be occasions when exploring you’ll be walking on uneven surfaces, so we recommend sturdy and comfortable walking shoes. Wearing layers of clothing means it’s much easier to deal with potentially varied weather conditions and it’s always advisable to carry a waterproof. Any included evening dinners are also informal, with smart casual dress being the norm. We would also recommend taking good insect repellent, a high factor sun screen lotion and a hat for protection from the sun.

    When visiting Australia’s Red Centre, some guests appreciate taking a fly net which can be placed over a hat to keep the flies away.

  • What is the best way to pay for things in Australia?

    Major credit cards and cash machines are widely available throughout your tour and your tour manger will be on hand to help you find the best places to exchange your money. When travelling to Australia, a currency card is a simple way to buy currency and lock in a great exchange rate before you travel. Distant Journeys recommends Revolut, a digital banking app which offers a pre-paid physical or virtual currency card. It is also simple to apply for, set up and use.

    For more information on the Revolut Currency Card, please click here.

    We also recommend advising your bank of your travel plans prior to departing from the UK so you do not encounter potential problems when trying to withdraw cash.


  • How much should I tip in Australia?

    Whilst it is not compulsory to tip in Australia, it is now an accepted practice in many areas. It is the norm, for example to tip in a restaurant if you are happy with the service, usually around 5-7%. For your tour, tipping is discretionary, however, suggested tipping amounts for your driver and guides would be as follows:

    Tour Manager: $5.00 AUD per person per day
    Coach Driver: $5.00 AUD per person per day

  • What are the entry requirements for Australia?

    The following information on entry requirements, passports and Visa’s is for British citizens only. Holders of a British Subject passport, non-British citizens and holders of a passport endorsed in any way should check immigration requirements with the relevant embassy or consulate of the country to be visited, as should clients with dual nationality or renounced citizenship.

  • Do I need to renew my passport?

    A valid ten-year British passport is required for all holidays, valid for a minimum of six months after your return date to the UK. If you are not currently in possession of a valid passport please make sure you leave plenty of time before your holiday to apply for this document. Our recommendation is that you should apply at least three months before your holiday.

  • Will I need a visa to enter Australia?

    Visitors to Australia will require an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). Applications for ETAs will be processed by Distant Journeys for a charge of £25 per ETA. An ETA is valid for 12 months and allows you multiple entries into Australia with a maximum duration of three months per entry. An ETA is equivalent to a visa but there is no stamp or label in your passport. For more information on passport information and entry requirements please visit the Government Passport Office website: and the Foreign Office website:

    It is important to note entry requirements may change and it is your responsibility to ensure you are in possession of all necessary travel, passport, visa, other entry requirements before departure. All costs incurred in obtaining such documentation must be paid by you. We regret we cannot accept any liability if you are refused entry onto any transport or into any country due to failure on your part to obtain and carry all required documentation.

  • The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement

    The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement (RHCA) between the Australian Government and the United Kingdom Government, covers visitors for any medical treatment required due to ill-health or injury occurred during your stay in Australia only. While this agreement means visitors may receive treatment in Australia, we’d like to emphasise that this should not replace the need for having adequate travel insurance to cover potential medical expenses. Please note there are certain requirements that you must fulfil before departing from Australia: you’ll need to discuss any charges with the hospital staff or doctor that is treating you, and you must enroll at a Medicare office in Australia at the earliest opportunity. To enroll in Medicare you will need your passport with a valid visa and identification to prove that you’re enrolled in your country’s national health scheme. If you receive treatment before you enroll, you may be required to pay for treatment costs in advance.

  • Do I need to have any vaccinations for Australia?

    Health facilities, hygiene and disease risk vary worldwide. You should take health advice from your GP or local travel clinic about your specific needs as early as possible and ensure that vaccinations or preventative measures are taken early enough (which may be a month or more prior to departure) to be fully effective by the date of travel. For more information on health and vaccinations please visit the Foreign Office website and NHS Travel Vaccinations website on:

    Advice may change and you should check the most up to date position with your GP or local health / travel clinic in good time before departure.


Award-Winning Holidays

Distant Journeys has won 18 awards over the last seven years, at the British Travel Awards, and we have been awarded Feefo’s highest Platinum Trusted Rating for customer satisfaction.

Guaranteed Price Promise

Know you are paying the best price for your holiday with our Price Promise. We never offer last minute discounts and we guarantee the earlier you book the better the offer you’ll receive.

100% Financial Protection

Book in the confidence your money is 100% safe. All Distant Journeys holidays are fully bonded by the Civil Aviation Authority (ATOL number 10913) or ABTOT (number 5427).


New Brochure


Planning your next holiday? Let Distant Journeys give you some travel inspiration.

There are three easy ways to request your brochures – just click on your preferred option below:

View our
online brochures
your brochures
Request your FREE
brochures by post