South African experience
Our Directors have a combined experience of over 60 years in the travel industry and are genuine South African holiday experts who know everything there is to know about creating the best escorted tours of South Africa from the UK. You can be confident that our escorted tours to South Africa are of the highest standard.
Their success is evident having now become ten-time winners at the prestigious British Travel Awards and have been awarded Feefo’s highest Platinum Trusted rating.
Your money is 100% safe when you book with Distant Journeys. All our South African touring packages are fully-bonded by the Civil Aviation Authority (ATOL no. 10913) and if Distant Journeys is unable to operate your tour due to Covid-19, we will give you the option to change to another tour, defer your holiday to a later departure date or cancel your holiday with a full refund.
Distant Journeys works hard to create and deliver escorted tours of a high quality, and we are very grateful when this effort is reflected in the customer feedback we receive. Since 2016 Distant Journeys has won multiple awards for our Australasia tours at the British Travel Awards, and we have also been awarded silver in the ‘Best Small Escorted Tours Company’ for the last two years.
We are now very proud to have won awards for our Spectacular South Africa tours; at the 2019 British Travel Awards, we won the silver award for ‘Best Holiday Company to Sub-Saharan Africa’. In 2020, we went one better and won this category outright – a wonderful accolade and something that gives us enormous pride.
South Africa holiday highlights
Escorted tours of South Africa have many and varied highlights, and below are just some you will experience on Distant Journeys South Africa tour.
- Cape Town – a leisurely 5 night stay in this beautiful city, with a fascinating sightseeing tour included
- Table Mountain – a cable car ride to the top of magnificent Table Mountain (weather permitting)
- Cape Point and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens – just two of the places we visit when touring from Cape Town
- The Garden Route – enjoy breathtaking scenery, historic towns and pretty villages along this celebrated route
- Bayala Private Game Reserve experience (if selecting) – including morning and evening safaris in their 30,000 hectares of unspoiled wilderness.
- Durban and Pretoria – enjoy included sightseeing tours in these fascinating and diverse cities
- Rovos Rail Durban Safari (if selecting) – an all inclusive two night rail safari aboard ‘the most luxurious train in the world’
- Victoria Falls (optional extension) – spend three nights close to Victoria Falls, the world’s largest waterfall and a World Heritage site.
Providing exceptional value while maintaining the highest standards is at the heart of everything we do.
We know that your accommodation in South Africa is an extremely important part of your holiday, which is why we generally use hotels with at least a four-star rating. Not only that, but our carefully selected hotels in South Africa are situated in the best locations for you to explore.
So many experiences included
Visit South Africa with Distant Journeys, and you’ll enjoy so many incredible experiences, at no extra cost. From riding a cable car to the top of Table Mountain and enjoying a leisurely drive along the Garden Route, to experiencing a safari in a way that suits you, they’re all included in the price of your South Africa tour.
Our South Africa tours include
- Return economy class flights
- A choice of UK departure airports at no additional cost
- Airport transfers overseas
- Superior hotels, with great locations
- Daily breakfast included, worth up to £267 per person
- Lunches in Cape Town and en route to Port Elizabeth
- All meals on Rovos Rail (if selected)
- All meals in Bayala Private Game Reserve (if selected)
- Experienced tour managers and drivers
- Incredible excursions
- All pre-payable airport taxes
- All hotel porterage
- ATOL protection for your holiday
- Our Price Promise & Covid Guarantee
At Distant Journeys, we think we’ve found the perfect balance of freedom and flexibility that every escorted tour of South Africa needs.
Where would you like to fly from?
It’s up to you! On both our 18 day Spectacular South Africa tour, and our Spectacular South Africa including Rovos Rail, you can choose to fly with Lufthansa, via Frankfurt or with British Airways. In addition to London Heathrow departures, both airlines offer a choice of regional UK departure points including Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Please ask one of our travel experts for more details.
What would you like to do?
On an escorted tour, we think it’s important to have the flexibility to enjoy experiences that really interest you. Choose our Spectacular South Africa tour for a traditional two night safari in a private game reserve with four included game drives, or choose our Spectacular South Africa including Rovos Rail, for a two night all-inclusive Durban Safari rail journey on board the luxurious Rovos Rail train.
Would you like to stay a little longer?
Who wouldn’t? So why not extend your holiday by going to see the World Heritage site Victoria Falls? Our optional Victoria Falls, extension includes a three night stay in the luxurious Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. Or if you have family and friends in South Africa and would like to spend time with them after your tour, you can! Arranging flights for you to accommodate this is all part of the service.