01695 577 961

Open Again Monday


Home Icon Find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions from our customers

  • Is there a time difference?

    Calgary GMT -7hrs, Vancouver GMT -8hrs

  • What is the currency?

    Canadian Dollar

  • What will the weather be like?

    Generally, all our tours travel when it is considered the best time to travel, however it is important to note that climates may vary between different regions so the weather may vary throughout your tour. As weather patterns around the world are becoming less predictable the information we provide should be used as a guide only and is no guarantee of the weather at the time you travel. We also recommend checking up-to-date weather forecasts before you travel.

    Most tours to Canada operate in the summer months which generally means sunny days and pleasant temperatures. If travelling in May, there may still be some chilly mornings and evenings, but the snow has largely been replaced with blooming springtime flowers.

  • What clothing should I take to Canada?

    Dress for our tours is generally relaxed and informal during the day, dressing to suit the weather conditions and the activity you are undertaking. Evening dinners are also informal, with smart casual dress being the norm. It’s likely there will be occasions when exploring you’ll be walking on uneven surfaces, so we recommend sturdy and comfortable walking shoes. Wearing layers of clothing means it’s much easier to deal with potentially varied weather conditions – remember it will be cooler at higher altitudes – and it’s always advisable to carry a waterproof, good insect repellent, a high factor sunscreen lotion and a hat for protection from the sun.

    If travelling on our Grand Canadian Rockies & Alaskan Cruise tour, please also refer to our Alaskan FAQ’s.

  • What is the best way to pay for things in Canada?

    Major credit cards and cash machines are widely available throughout your tour and your tour manger will be on hand to help you find the best places to exchange your money.

    When travelling to Canada, a currency card is a simple way to buy currency and lock in a great exchange rate before you travel. We recommend the Revolut card, which offers 150 currencies and enjoys favourable exchange rates, making it a perfect card to use for any card payments, such as hotels and restaurants. You can withdraw cash from ATMs whilst abroad, but there is a limit of £200 per month, before paying a 2% fee. For more information on the Revolut Currency Card, please click here

    We also recommend advising your bank of your travel plans prior to departing from the UK so you do not encounter potential problems when trying to withdraw cash.

  • How much should I tip in Canada?

    Unlike the UK, tipping is very much common practice in Canada and whilst mostly discretionary, it is expected. For restaurants you should look to add 15%-20% to your bill. For taxis add 15% to the fare. Hotel porters would normally expect a tip of around. 5-10 CAD and if you wish to tip other hotel staff, similar amounts should be offered.

    For your tour, suggested tipping amounts for your driver and guides are as follows:
    Tour Manager: $5 – $6 CAD per person per day
    Driver: $5 – $6 CAD per person per day
    Local Guides: $3 CAD per person per day

    When travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer, gratuities have been included for the train staff. Any porters or coach drivers are not included and should be tipped appropriately.

    If travelling on our Grand Canadian Rockies & Alaskan Cruise tour, please also refer to our Alaskan FAQ’s.

    If travelling on our Knight Inlet holiday extension, gratuities for your time at Knight Inlet have been included. Any other transfers and porters are not included and should be tipped appropriately.

  • What are the entry requirements for Canada?

    The following information on entry requirements, passports and visas is for British Citizens only. Any visa information covers visa requirements for the duration our tour stays in any given country. If you intend to stay longer you should seek additional information before booking.

    Holders of a British Subject passport, non-British citizens and holders of a passport endorsed in any way should check immigration requirements with the relevant embassy or consulate of the country to be visited, as should clients with dual nationality or renounced citizenship.

    It is important to recognise that whilst the information below is correct at the time we go to print, all requirements may change and all clients must check the up to date position in good time before departure with the Embassy or consulate of the country(ies) you are travelling through and to.

    We also suggest referring to the UK government’s Foreign Travel Advice website, for advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings.

  • Do I need to renew my passport?

    Passports A valid ten-year British passport is required for all our holidays, valid for a minimum of six months after your return date to the UK. If you are not currently in possession of a valid passport, please make sure you leave plenty of time before your holiday to apply for this document.

    A full British passport presently takes approximately up to 10 weeks to obtain. If you are 16 or over and have not yet arranged a passport, you should apply for one at least six weeks before your departure from the UK. The UK Passport Service has to confirm an applicant’s identity before issuing their first passport and will ask them to attend an interview in order to do this. Please note, if you need to apply for visas after you receive your new passport, you will need to factor in additional time for this.

    For more information on passport and entry requirements please visit the Government Passport Office website.

  • Will I need a visa to enter Canada?

    You are required to obtain an ETA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) before travelling to Canada. The cost for this is CAD $7.00 per person. Once approved, your ETA is valid for five years or until your passport expires – whichever comes first. You can apply for your Canadian ETA here.

  • Do I need to have any vaccinations for Canada?

    Health facilities, hygiene and disease risks vary worldwide and may change at any time. You should take health advice from your GP or local travel clinic about your specific needs as early as possible and ensure that vaccinations or preventative measures are taken early enough (which may be a month or more prior to departure) to be fully effective by the date of travel.

    In addition to viewing the UK government’s own travel advice website, at least 8 weeks before your trip, we recommend you check the latest health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website.

    Guidance is also available from on the NHS Travel Vaccinations website, and the NHS (Scotland) FitForTravel website.

  • What is the difference between SilverLeaf & GoldLeaf service on the Rocky Mountaineer?

    Both offer amazing scenery, world-class service and complimentary meals, beverages, and snacks.

    SilverLeaf Service: Panoramic views and gourmet meals served to your seat.

    GoldLeaf Service: Panoramic Views, extra leg room, access to outdoor viewing platform, seat on the upper level and elegantly plated meals in a dedicated dining room.


  • Is there wifi access onboard Rocky Mountaineer?

    There is no Wi-Fi internet access onboard and much of the train route is out of cell phone range due to the train travelling through remote areas. There is a cell service in Kamloops. It is strongly recommended that guests disable data roaming or switch their device into airplane mode in order to avoid any roaming charges.

  • Does the Rocky Mountaineer accommodate guests with limited mobility?

    If you are taking your own wheelchair when travelling on the Rocky Mountaineer train it will need to fold down into pieces of 50lbs or less. The GoldLeaf Service coaches have elevators for guests who have problems using the spiral staircase.


Award-Winning Holidays

Distant Journeys has won 18 awards over the last seven years, at the British Travel Awards, and we have been awarded Feefo’s highest Platinum Trusted Rating for customer satisfaction.

Guaranteed Price Promise

Know you are paying the best price for your holiday with our Price Promise. We never offer last minute discounts and we guarantee the earlier you book the better the offer you’ll receive.

100% Financial Protection

Book in the confidence your money is 100% safe. All Distant Journeys holidays are fully bonded by the Civil Aviation Authority (ATOL number 10913) or ABTOT (number 5427).


New Brochure


Planning your next holiday? Let Distant Journeys give you some travel inspiration.

There are three easy ways to request your brochures – just click on your preferred option below:

View our
online brochures
your brochures
Request your FREE
brochures by post